Pre-Ride Safety Brief
Before each event, RCATV conducts a pre-ride safety brief. We recommend you do the same to remind riders of some group riding basics, especially with riders new to group riding. Download a copy.
- Always drive with headlights on for increased visibility;
- RCATV is a dry club and all of our events are drug and alcohol free;
- In groups, each rider is responsible for the rider behind them:
o See & Acknowledge: When making a turn or trail is unclear, wait, ensure they see and acknowledge you
o Check: Periodically check behind you to ensure they are still there
o Pause: If they are not there, pause on the side of the trail to see if they catch up.
o Turn Around: If they don’t catch up in a reasonable time, turn around and find them. Successive riders will notice they are no longer being followed, and do the same
o Don’t Chase: Do not chase the person in front to try to reach them.
- Don’t drive beyond your skills, if unsure ask more experienced riders for assistance
- Speeds on roadways are 20km (posted 50km -), 50km (posted 60km +)
- If an accident occurs:
o Minor Incident: Not requiring emergency services, assist riders to safely return to the closest staging area
o Major Incident:
▪ Call 9-1-1, don’t leave the rendez-vous site
▪ Keep the person still and warm, only provide first aid as trained and able
▪ Notify incoming riders, make way for EMS, send 2+ escort riders
▪ Do not Extract – EMS bring the hospital to them
EMS Group/Event Emergency Response Protocols
Our local EMS has provided this critical information about how and when to engage with EMS in the event of an accident on the trail. Download a copy here